Today we’ll cook Smoked Turkey
7 servings 7 hour 30 min 418 kcal per serving
We will need the following ingredients
- 1 15 pound turkey defrosted
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons Homemade BBQ Sweet Rub Link in recipe notes
- Aluminum Drip Pan
- 4 cups water to start, more to refill
- Heat any type of grill that you use for indirect smoking at 225 degrees Fahrenheit. If you use gas, turn half the burners on medium level and leave the other half. If you are using charcoal, preheat your coals until you remove them, drop them to one side of your grill and set the ventilation holes to about 25%. If you use a specialized smoker, preheat the grill to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Add wood pieces or chips, if necessary, to achieve a subtle blue smoke.
- Remove your thawed turkey from the package. Remove the neck and offal from the inside of the bird. If your turkey was paved, thoroughly wash the turkey’s appearance with cold water. Drink the turkey from all sides with a paper towel. Tie your legs together with a butcher’s twine and secure the tips of the wing to the shoulder joint.
3. Cover the appearance of the bird with olive oil or melted butter, and then on all sides with sweet scars.
4. At 225 degrees F, you can plan about 30 minutes per pound for your turkey to smoke. For example, this 15-pound turkey will take 7 and 1/2 hours at 225 degrees Fahrenheit. I always plan an extra 30 minutes, just in case.
5. Use a thermometer for instant reading to check the temperature of the turkey in the chest and hips. Make sure that you experience both sides of the bird, ESPECIALLY if you smoke on a grill with gas or coal, where the temperature of your grill may be higher on one side than on the other. You will walk away from the lowest reading you get from each side of the turkey. Once all temperatures exceed 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it is time to remove the smoked turkey on a large plate or chopping board.
6. Allow the turkey to rest for about 15 minutes before cutting and serving. If your turkey is done a little earlier, cover the turkey with foil and wrap in towels to isolate and keep the temperature at a safe temperature.
7. It remains only to decide whether you are a light man or a dark man of meat, slice this pretty bird and get after it! Happy Thanksgiving!